Monday, February 29, 2016

My recently new addiction

My dad has a tendency of picking on me: I talk to my cats and dachshund like they're people, I'm not exactly tall (that would come from the genetics from his side of the family), and my model horse hobby. He's always shaking his head when he sees packages in the mail with my name on them, and asks me "Really Ell? Another damn plastic horse?!"

"Would you prefer that I'm into drugs or a raging alcoholic?"
(-Me almost every time he gives me a hard time.)

Anywho, that's not the subject of this post. Last time I said that I would introduce a part of my collection. They aren't winning models, or anything of high value,  but I still treasure them like they are.They are my lovely little oddballs. There are some that I know none about, while there are others where I have a pinch of a clue. Here is the eye candy starring each member and a little backstory of what I do know about each

Lady Facade
First glance one might say "Oh that's a Breyer Western Horse" or "Hey is that a Hartland Victor mold?"
Both are wrong, it's a Ohio Plastics horse. She briefly fooled me, then sent me on a four hour internet research spree. So far she has earned her stay by teaching me something new.

Unnamed grey stallion and foal
I know very little about these two. I do know that they are in atrocious condition, if I clean them the paint and glue holding the halves together might dissolve, and that it is supposed to be a three horse set (the second foal is missing) from WS Toys in Hong Kong. When I search for this specific model set I get moot, but have found some other sets that put these two to shame in terms of integrity through the decades.
This adorable family is for sale on Etsy, I've been on the fence about getting them.

Tamarisk
Here's a familiar face to this blog. I know, he's a woodgrain Family Arabian Stallion wearing vintage Breyer tack, borrrrriiiinnnnggggg, but there's more to him than that.
He is a souvenir from Lexington, Kentucky. I had no idea this was possible, and haven't had much luck in the research realm. Again, the bit of info I do know is from a model for sale.
This lovely lady (who I couldn't afford) is a souvenir from Owensboro, Kentucky with the same style sticker as Tamarisk on the same side. I am pretty sure that the stickers are an aftermarket addition, but I can be wrong. The mystery shall go on for now.

 The Mysterious Moo
My last featured herd member is not of the equine type, but is still unique and worth mentioning. A coworker who knows about my hobby had this in her trailer home collecting dust and gave it to me. She wasn't sure of the material but I quickly found with a tap on my head that it's made of rubber. I will be honest-I have no idea at all as to what company made this, all I know is that there's a "Made in USA" stamp on the bottom and a sticker that says "Circa 1930's-42 Auburn Indiana." The date does explain why its made of rubber; toys pre WW2 were typically made of rubber, until the war required the manufacture of rubber soles for combat boots and other needs which largely stopped toy production for many companies. After the war plastic injection molding became king of the toy figurine industry. Definitely a unique piece and my oldest possession without a doubt.
It is currently a small portion of my collection (introducing all my Stablemates would be the death of me) but the one that I talk everyone's ears off about. I might be the type of  person who talks nonstop when excited or intoxicated, but then how else will I express all my thoughts?
Oh, and happy leap day!



No comments:

Post a Comment